Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ten Items or Less

My parents helped to develop Mister Literal man. I remember being in a Giant store near my childhood home with my dad, at the tender age of twelve or thirteen.

We were in the express line, and there was a sign on the adjacent office that read, "If there is no express lane open, Giant will give you a free half gallon of Sealtest ice cream"

When we reached the cashier, my dad asked the cashier for his free half-gallon. The cashier pointed to the sign that said, in big bold letters, "Express Lane: Ten Items or Less". My dad then said that, since the woman in front of him had checked twenty-two items through the line, that the sign was incorrect and that there was no express lane. The cashier called for the manager, who also pointed to the sign.

My dad became a bit more intense at this point, increasing his demand in a louder voice, to free ice cream for everyone in line behind him. The folks in line behind us all agreed with his proposal, and indicated their agreement verbally.

There is indeed strength in numbers!

As the manager brought over a stack of free ice cream coupons, the smiles on the faces of those in line gave me all the motivation I needed to become Mister Literal Man.

That was thirty eight years ago, and Mister Literal Man is still going strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment